Whew! Well, that took longer than expected. My original plan to quickly paint the core 90 Shoota Boyz of my Ork army in a git-r-done-and-on-the-table fashion using dipping techniques somewhere along the morphed into fix-all-the-tiny-mistakes mode. While that certainly left me with better looking models it also has kept me from playing since August. I’m also not sure it ended up being worth it. I’m really happy with how the orks all turned out. The problem is that I decided to go with brown bases instead of my usual black leanings which led to some issues while sealing. So about a third of my army has a bit of crackling around the edge of their bases. I’m not happy with it but I’m also not upset enough to go whittle down the bad spots and repaint 90 bases.
You can tell on inspection, but not from the tabletop so I shouldn’t really be too concerned anyway. This is the stuff I have to let go in order to be finished. In any case, I wasn’t exactly shooting for a Golden Demon, y’know? They certainly do look good as a horde, which is what I wanted in the first place.
Right now I’m just basking in the glow of finishing the largest hobby project I’ve ever tackled. I’ve painted plenty of small squads and individual minis. This was my first attempt at painting so many minis and while I missed my deadline by a couple weeks, I didn’t get burned out, bored, nor did I move on.
In retrospect, I wish I had stuck to my original plan of doing small batches. Doing everything at once really reduced quality control, something you’ll see in my next dipping article. It also made the littlest task seem all hat much bigger, which was my excuse not to paint on several occasions.
Next week expect the next dipping article and a gallery of my shoota boyz. Until then, here’s a shot of my triumph.